Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Using Blogs in English Class

During the school year I often spend many hours creating exciting, inventive ways to instruct my students in writing.  This is usually a very difficult task because majority of students do not enjoy the act of writing, especially standardized testing writing.  Often my students struggle with reading deeper into writing prompts and also expanding on their writing.  I try to vary topics that students write about so that different students will be interested with different ideas.  I feel blogs may create a different and exciting approach to writing.  Here are some ideas I think would be beneficial to use in an English classroom.

One idea I had for using blogs within my English class is to post issues in the news and have students comment on these issues.  Students often have much knowledge in issues our state, country, town are currently facing.  Many of my students are well informed about the current actions Governor Christie is taking toward budgeting in New Jersey public education.  I feel this is an issue in the news that impacts their learning and therefore they would have an opinion they could share with others.

Another way to use blogging in the classroom would be for students to write journal entries in their personal blog space.  I, as the teacher, can use the blogs as a grade, comment on their remarks and create a closer relationship with students in my classroom.  By discussing issues important to them, the student- teacher bond could be made stronger.

The last way in which to use blogging in my class would be for students to write original pieces and post to the blog.  Students would receive comments from myself as well as other students on how to improve their writing.  This is one idea that I am a little uncertain about because of student's harsh wording at times. This use of blogs would take much preparation on the part of the teacher and in discussing proper ways to critique writings with students.

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of posting things in the news and having students comment on them. You just gave me an additional way for students to do one of their assignments. Each week I have students bring in a news article and we discuss them. Instead of discussing them in the class, we could do this on our blog. This would eliminate taking up class time, especially if it is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of journaling. This would be a real connection with students. Can they journal through texting? I am uncertain how to set up private blogs so that you and the student are the only ones with access...is that possible.
    My only concern would be computer time...do you all journal daily and if so, how would you adjust for the neeew of computers?
    I believe this idea would really excite the students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have great ideas and it sounds like you really want to get to know your students. I wondered if students would be sending the journal to a public blog or just to you? If it was a public blog a challenge could be other students teasing or disrespecting others in their journal. You could make sure that only comments from others would have to be approved by you before posting. I think students would really impove their writing if they hear ideas from peers, it really means so much more than coming from just their teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I even read your final paragraph on posting student samples of work for revision, I had the same idea! I think that is a great idea and it should work very well if etiquette rules are established in the beginning and consistently followed. Also, if the sample of work is posted as "anonymous" or "un-named". This would alleviate students from picking on select students that may normally be the target.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the positive comments as well as the concerns I truly need to think about before incorporating this technology into my classroom.
    Lesia and yungteach951- I would need to research more about private blogs. This was also a huge concern of mine!
    K. Andrews- I LOVE the idea of keeping all writing anonymous. Students could take critiques from other students and revise their writing. Then they can hand me in the final copy without anyone knowing what they published. GREAT IDEA!!

    ReplyDelete