When compared to the behaviorist approach, my teaching style and this approach have many similarities. The behaviorist learning theory states “the learner acquires behaviors, skills, and knowledge in response to the rewards, punishments, or withheld responses associated with them,” (Lever-Duffy & McDonald, 2008). Reinforcement and consequences, which are major aspects of the behaviorist learning theory, assist my students and me with getting the most out of classroom time. I reinforce student’s appropriate behavior and provide consequences for inappropriate behavior. This allows me to create a classroom environment that focuses on student responsibility.
For instruction, I present the different concepts for a two week period. For example, this week I presented parts of speech, vocabulary list, and idioms. Students took notes on the mini-lessons and then were sent to complete center tasks with partners. Students used their notes, knowledge, and partners to complete all tasks. Due to my behaviorist approach with discipline, all students completed their work and there were minimal distractions. Combining student responsibility with the structure enforced by the behaviorist learning theory has created a structured classroom of students who are capable of working on their own and not dependent on the instructor.
Lever-Duffy, J. & McDonald, J. (2008). Theoretical Foundations (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It seems as though you and I follow very similar styles of teaching. Rewarding students for positive behavior and reinforcing consequences to negative actions not only helps to control/manage classroom behavior, but also helps to develop life-long skills that our students will encounter throughout their lives. I feel that it is very important to reinforce lessons with activities that allow students to experience the content we are trying to get across. In my first few years of teaching, I have realized that we should never be working harder than our students. Those who "do" in the class, are the ones who are actually doing the learning. We need to allow our students to take learning into their own hands and be responsible for the tasks at hand.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to you and Danny's take on the effectiveness of the behaviorist model for classroom management. I have found that regardless of the age, when you give your students independent practice time, they need to know exactly what is expected of them. The behaviorist model of reinforcement and punishment has to be preceded by clear expectations and a clear acknowledgment of the rewards and consequences for their behaviors. I know early on I regretted a lack of consistency with my consequences. Every year I post the consequences and rewards, as well as send home the rules, consequences, and rewards to parents. I have the parents and students sign a document stating that they understand the guidelines and agree to them. It really helps solidify the system.
ReplyDeleteThat's great that you are able to reinforce the material and promote student responsible. That is such a huge factor in the learning process. More importantly, in my opinion, it promotes the total person.
ReplyDeleteYou compiled a great classroom manangement approach of "Combining student responsibility with the structure enforced". In addition it created an environment that allowed students to be held accountable for their own learning.
ReplyDeleteSomething I've learned in my first few years is that having procedures in place for students in my eyes is the most important aspect of a classroom over rules, consequences, and reward, although they are very important. If we can control the actions of our students throughout the day, there is great transition and less room for behavioral issues.
ReplyDelete