Wednesday, March 9, 2011

GAME Plan

Game Plan 1- Real-world issues
Goals:  I would like to “engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources” (NETS-T 1b) (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008).
Action:  In order to accomplish this goal I need to continue expanding my knowledge about real world issues within my student’s community.  The only way to create projects and assignments that will interest students is to discover some issues they face in and out of school.  I will do this by asking for parent input and also input from community members.  We have local forums for parents and others within the community.  By posting to the blog, community members can send me information about issues within the community or issues that impact our students.
Monitor:  I will make sure I contact as many people as I can.  This will expand my search and offer more real world options for students to choose from.  I will continue to check the blog to see if anyone has offered any real world issues within the community.  
Evaluate:  Evaluation will be using the information within my classroom and observing student’s interest.  A successful assignment or project can only be evaluated after students have worked on it and completed it.  When starting new projects I ask for student input on ways in which we can change, improve, differentiate, etc. the assignment.
Game Plan 2- Communication 
Goals: I would like to collaborate with students, peers, parents and community members using digital tools and resources to support student success and innovation. (NETS-T 3b)(International Society for Technology in Education, 2008) 
Action: I will contact peers, parents, and community members via digital tools and explain that I would like to maintain contact with them throughout the school year.  It is vital for parents and teachers to be on the same page with the way in which their child learns.  I will allow students to visit my webpage which will be updated constantly with assignments, tests, projects, upcoming events, etc.  This will allow students to remain in contact with me at all times.
Monitor: It will be my responsibility to check my email and webpage often to see if any parents, community member, or peer is trying to contact me.  I will also monitor interaction with parents by the way in which the student is doing in my class.  If parents and teachers communicate students will understand that they must work to the best of their ability in school and out.
Evaluate:  Evaluation will be based on student’s success within the classroom.  A child’s passing my course will supply a numerical evaluation for me.  However, success as a student in my class will be assessed with student and parent feedback at the end of the school year.  

References:
International Society for Technology in Education, Initials. (2008). Nets for teachers 2008. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers/nets-for-teachers-2008.aspx

2 comments:

  1. Cristina,

    Your GAME plan to collaborate with students, peers, parents and community fostering digital tools for student success is extremely important especially in this global economy. With your outreach for involvement from colleagues, parents and the community, this will definitely help you achieve your goal. I too am creating something for my students and parents to stay abreast of our school adventures, but also I want to share many other findings, while being able to generate feedback. One thing I would love to do is send out tweets or even podcasts, but since I teach in an elementary setting, this isn’t practical (at least for now). The goal that you are setting forth is very exciting and I predict that you will be able to extend far beyond what you imagine.
    Good Luck,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that students love technology of any form and enjoy using it in their education process. I am constantly incorporating technology into lessons and try to have students create projects with the use of technology. I think using tweets and podcasts at the elementary level will be common in the near future and wish you luck with including it in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete