With the ever changing world of technology, teachers and students need to continually challenge themselves and each other with proper uses of these tools. Students of this generation are expected to know everything about technology. Well I have come to realize this is completely untrue. For those who do know about the world of technology, they are still dependent upon the instructor to reinforce accurateness. For this reason I feel my GAME plan with students should focus on Standard 4: Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making (International Society for Technology in Education, 2011).
This school year, my colleagues and I have witnessed our most dependent fifth graders we have ever encountered. They are in constant need of reassurance for if they are completing something correctly or if something sounds correct. We have already begun structuring our classes and grade level differently for next year, and this additional plan will do nothing else but support our struggles.
I am the teacher who works the most with the fifth graders in completing projects and incorporating technology into the classroom. I believe standard 4 focuses on students working together with others to solve real world problems while occasionally thinking outside the box. With students that are capable of completing these tasks, I am preparing them for the real world at the age of ten. Imagine what they will advance to by the time they enter high school. Students need to be responsible, accountable, and think on their own in order for them to succeed in school and out. By aiming my goals and my student’s goals to master these areas, I have no doubt there will be a feeling of success at the end of next school year.
References
International Society for Technology in Education. (2011). NETS for students 2007. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-students/nets-student-standards-2007.aspx

Cristina,
ReplyDeleteI can understand how frustrating it may be to have a group of students that are constantly seeking affirmation for their work. I think the alternative would be much worse, in that I mean if students did not care about their work and just did the bare minimum or do nothing at all. I have found that working with younger students here in the public school system of Cincinnati that they seek as much attention as possible. The younger students really want to know that they are doing things right and get frustrated if they can not make the connection quickly. The older students that do not have a strong educational foundation just do not care about anything and do whatever they can to not work. I do not know what the school you work at is like, but I know that in my district and the schools that I work at, school is the only place where my students can relax and be kids. They are surrounded by things that kids their age should not see and have to deal with so when they are within the walls of our schools they can just be a kid and I take comfort when they are still kids and are looking from the confirmation from people they trust.
Cristina,
ReplyDeleteBelieve me when I say I know how it feels to have students who constantly want to know if they are doing what you expect them to do. Even on the secondary level I have students who want me to give them an okay before they move on. I do agree that this is a skill that needs to be worked on at an early age if we want our students to be successful. I wish you the best of luck because I know how much energy it takes when I work with my seniors. I couldn't imagine doing what you do with elementary students.
Sadie
Cristina-
ReplyDeleteI too give you a lot of credit for working with the students to create a feeling of independence and success at their young age. I have seen a tremendous increase of dependence in my high school classrooms, so it's great to hear that someone is addressing it earlier in the kids' careers. Technology offers us a wealth of possibilities, but we need to go through the motions of teaching students how to use these technologies and how to be confident in their work at the same time. Without both of those components, our students will not see the necessary results, so I truly commend you!
Have a great week,
Amanda