This week I had an opportunity to discuss computer issues with other teachers. Many voiced concern about their personal computer in the classroom and the struggle to get computer time with students throughout the school year. I also spoke with a special education teacher who has seven computers in her classroom. She explained how they were mostly used for studyisland.com, which is our schools online standards-based assessment. When I exited the meeting I was mostly angry. These computers are stationed in a classroom where they are not frequently used. In my classroom I have a classroom computer that is not even compatible with the student’s computer lab computers. Therefore, last week I had to meet students in the computer lab before school and during my lunch so they complete their projects. This is what led me in the direction of applying for a grant.
Therefore, I have started to delve into the world of computer grants for my school. I have started to research some areas in which I can apply for grants. While I am not quite at the stage where I am writing my application, I have found some resources to assist with wording and format for such an application. I was not fully aware of the impact wording had on receiving such grants. For example simply stating you need computers because you want students to type essays or to do research, will definitely not get you the grant. However, if you want students to generate questions in which to ask experts in another state, your chances are much greater. I am slowly gaining more knowledge in the area of grants and hope to continue.
As for students: They have been presenting their technology projects throughout the last week. I was impressed with how creative some of the groups were and how little creativity some of my other students possess. The final products varied from skits with background pictures on the screen to VoiceThread creations to PowerPoint presentations with illustrations and music. I am pleased to say that by giving students freedom in their creations, it allowed them to think a little on their own as opposed to constantly asking the instructor what should be done.

It sounds like you have been inspired! I think your understanding of the importance of technology in the classroom and preparing our students for a successful future will help you write a grant that could get results. My experience with grant writing has been minimal but I do know it is important to know what you want and to be able communicate your needs! You are well on your way.....Good luck to you!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you are gathering the information you need in order to make a case or write a proposal for why you need more computers in the school. The feedback you are getting from the staff members in your school should be very helpful in your efforts. There is a lot of information online about grant writing and specifically about writing grants for technology enhancements to your school. Please visit www.inacol.org. They are considered one of the leaders in online education. Their website has a wealth of information and maybe helpful to you. Best of luck in your efforts.
ReplyDelete