In my previous post I stated that I wanted to work on the following:
~I would like to “engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources” (NETS-T 1b) (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008).
~I would like to “collaborate with students, peers, parents and community members using digital tools and resources to support student success and innovation” (NETS-T 3b)(International Society for Technology in Education, 2008).
In order to complete these GAME plans, I need certain resources to assist me in my process. I believe that using a teaching blog, similar to the one I am posting on, parents, students, community members, etc. can contact me and supply me with required information. Other members on my blog can comment about issues in the community, school, world, etc. Students will be provided with a list of criteria rules in which they need to follow when blogging. Parents and students would need to sign a contract stating they will be appropriate when blogging on the site. The reason for the contract? On nj.com, our state website, parents from my district write inappropriate statements often including comments about teachers, administrators, sports coaches, etc. I feel blogging is a great form of communication and inappropriateness takes away from the concept and benefits of blogging.
I also feel that the school should create a website that will be monitored for community patrons to visit. This way, people of the community can see what is going on in the school. By doing this, the school, teachers, administration are more open to the public, but more importantly the public can see what their tax dollars are going to. In my district, we struggle each year to pass the budget and often people in the community claim teachers are “glorified babysitters.” This will allow for the public to see the hard work the children of the community are completing and how difficult it is to teach them without the supplies needed.
References:
International Society for Technology in Education, Initials. (2008). Nets for teachers 2008. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/nets-for-teachers/nets-for-teachers-2008.aspx

It seems odd that a school doesn't have a website this day and age, I was surprised to read this.
ReplyDeleteWill you have a classroom website that will include your blog? I also want to do a blog, and was hoping our technology director would show me if there are ways to monitor comments prior to posting on the website that I would manage due to possible inappropriate comments.
Goodluck on your school website! Ours uses it to post importand dates, classroom websites, and so much more. I will keep my fingers crossed that you get one soon :)!
Chris,
ReplyDeleteThe Web site for the community is a great idea. Can you be a driving force behind this? Although the development of the site might not fit your curriculum, it would provide a valuable authentic learning opportunity for students. I can envision this as an after-school or enrichment activity—perhaps as an extension of the school newspaper? I’m sure your students would enjoy being able to contribute, thereby demonstrating their skills to the community. Certainly there would need to be adult guidance in order to ensure both appropriateness and professionalism, but this could be a very student-centered project.
My school holds several events that showcase both our educational program and the talents of our students. We have had a wonderful response from the community; some come because they have seen the event advertised, but others see our displays in front of the school and stop by just to see what is happening. I agree with you that the more the public understands what is happening within our schools, the more supportive they are likely to be of education.
Cristina,
ReplyDeleteMy original comment isn't showing up so I am trying to post again. I do not know your own personal feelings about what is going on in your State, but being an Active member of the CFT (Cincinnati Federation of Teachers)we get a lot of updates about things going on not only in Ohio but around the country. I have read a lot about what gov. Christie is doing in NJ and I think its making it really hard to be a teacher there. I like your idea of making a blog for your class so that there can be a flow of information through you, to the students and their parents. I think that even with an agreement some people may take advantage of the anonymity that the cyber world offers and there may be inappropriate comments posted on the blog. I think that diligent checks of the blog can weed out bad comments and then the ability to block chronic abusers is always an option. Good luck getting something started.
Anthony
I do believe both of your suggestions will assist you in following through with your game plan. You bring up a great point about having parents and students sign a contract. Parents and students are sometimes not aware and sometimes are and simply do not practice the etiquette that is needed in a professional forum such as a teacher blog page.
ReplyDeleteI certainly agree that the school should have a webpage to keep parents and the community aware of what is going on at the school. I encourage you to suggest to your administration how beneficial you think it could be.
Lesia: I need to clarify something before responding to you: My school does have a website to relay information, but it is not interactive. We do not have the ability to communicate with parents, students, etc. through the site. It is simply informational. I would like to have a site that can be used in various ways such as information, email, blogging, etc. the website I found would include all of these. Teachers would have the ability to keep their page updated and also have discussion questions. Students would be able to post to the specific page and submit work via email (which is extremely important for kids in this generation) Please keep me posted about your blog adventures!
ReplyDeleteKelly: I am currently trying to rally the troops to become a driving force in this area. My principal would like a GAME plan from me in order to begin incorporating this into our school. I am hoping to gain as much information as possible from this activity and approach him at the start of next school year with my plan mapped out!
ReplyDeleteEric: Thank you for the support and I hope my administration will be as supportive as you! I am trying to gain as much knowledge in the area as I can and appreciate any outside input from classmates!
ReplyDeleteAnthony: Yes the governor is making it extremely difficult to be a teacher in this state. While many are doing all they can in the classroom, we are getting penalized for those few who may not be doing all they can in the classroom. Your comments about people abusing this privilege is appreciated insight into problems that may occur. Thank you for the advice to have routine checks of the site to remove any inappropriateness!
ReplyDelete