“Cooperative learning focuses on having students interact with each other in groups in ways that enhance their learning,” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). I strongly agree with the concept of cooperative learning. In my experience with classrooms incorporating this model, it has been nothing but beneficial to those children participating. While I feel it is essential in the learning process of children in this generation, I also feel there are many guidelines, rules and approaches that need to be enforced.
To begin, “cooperative learning groups require attention to detail in the planning process,” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). From my experience, I have learned this the hard way. Each year I expect my students to learn how to properly work in groups and assign projects throughout the school year that require them to work with others. One year I decided to have students work together on a Black History Month project. I found websites for students to use for research, only to find that some of those websites did not have all the information needed and gave students access to other, sometimes inappropriate, websites. I was prepared, but definitely not as much as I should have been. The following year, I began preparing for the project much earlier, and took into consideration these details when preparing.
Social networking and the media can be great resources for cooperative learning. With social networking students can access thoughts and ideas from students that are outside of the classroom. They have the ability to discuss problems with children from other cities, states, or even countries and gain an outside perspective. While this is a great advantage, it also needs to be regulated and monitored. Students need to be taught rules and guidelines when speaking with people on the computer.
Cooperative learning can be a strong tool for children if used correctly. Parents and teachers need to work together to enforce proper use of such powerful tools. Students also need to understand that having access to such a wide variety of information should not be taken for granted. Technology is a privilege that can enhance learning and that can be enjoyed, but only if used properly.
References:
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K.(2007). Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works. Alexandria, VA: ASC
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Cooperative learning I believe works well with my fifth graders. They are learning from each other. Sometimes hearing it from a friend also will be better than hearing it from the teacher ALL day long. Plus they are working on social skills and sometimes even technology skills. It is a great thing if you can get it working good in your class..
ReplyDeleteI agree with you 100% Parents and teachers need to work together on new technologies as well as focusing on students goals and needs in the classroom. Most importantly, students need to learn guidelines and proceedures to have a safe and productive experience on website resources.
ReplyDelete